Friday, September 24, 2010

Attempt #1...Failed...

I gave up at attempt #1. But at least I've had a good laugh about it so far. The story?

It all started when I saw this post on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Annie's Eats. Star Wars is a pretty big deal in my family, so I made sure to forward the link to my mom and sisters, jokingly asking who wanted to buy a set of the cookie cutters for everyone?! Well, a week later I checked the mail and lo and behold... there was a package from Williams Sonoma with a set of Star Wars cookie cutters inside and a note from my sister Amy saying that she expected cookies when she came to visit! :) I was so excited to try them out!

Tonight was the night. Joel is off studying so my Friday night became Star Wars cookie night. I'd made the dough and was ready to try my hand at something I've never done before: ROYAL ICING. Little did I know that royal icing was about to royally kick my butt.

I started off rolling the dough, cutting the shapes, and baking the cookies. That sounds easy enough, right? Here is where my problems start. Problem 1: I rolled the cookies too thin... The last batch was the only one that didn't turn out to be crispy cracker cookies. Dang... But I don't give up that easily.

Next step: discovering how to make royal icing. I got the recipe from Annie's Eats and followed her instructions. Man, it is time consuming. And messy. My hands and pretty much my entire kitchen is covered in food dye and sticky icing. Problem 2: I made this process go about twice as long (and messy) as it needed to be because I wasn't organized enough with my thought process of how to work with the "edging icing" and "filling icing."

Last step and problems 3 and 4: Ice the cookies. I tried to comprehend the instructions... I edged, I filled, and then I realized I had just ruined the cookies. I could no longer see the indentations for the details that make up the characters' faces. Apparently I didn't edge enough of the details and my filling was WAY too thick to see anything underneath. Also, my icing tips were too big so the details I tried to do just blobbed. I tried free handing one Storm Trooper and you can just tell by the look on his face that he's a sad one...

It's now 11:00 pm and my kitchen looks like this:
I'm feeling a little defeated. Not to mention Joel walked out just as I reached my breaking point and said, "wow, you look a little disheveled."

I took on the challenge of the royal icing and it won the first round. But don't worry! Now that I've done everything wrong the first time, I'm ready to go for round 2. Tomorrow. And they're going to be awesome.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment